Wednesday, June 24, 2009

running ie 6, 7 and 8

just read this - for the curious:

http://blog.case.edu/jeremy.smith/2008/03/07/ie_6_7_and_8_running_on_same_machine

I'll be trying it fairly soon, because I still like to test in 6, but I guess some goobers are using 8 now!

7 comments:

JK said...

Layla,

Have you set this up yet? If so, what are your thoughts?

Layla said...

not yet. I wanted to look into this session thing Tim mentioned first. Will keep you posted!

Layla said...

ugh, the ie6 is not working. :<

chubs said...

that is a pretty decent workaround, yet I still think I'd rather use a VM for IE6 and not mess with the registry and dll's :P

Layla said...

I had this setup going fine for a long time for ie6 and 7 without messing with any registry settings or dlls.

Sadly now that I tried adding 8 to the mix, 6 isn't working.

Layla said...

in other words the registry/dll stuff doesn't necessarily come up.

chubs said...

it says "multiple IE" does change a registry setting for IE HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Version Vector, you dont necessarily have to do anything manually. Im just a lil skeptical of software with comments like: "Multiple IE is no longer maintained and there are no plans to continue maintaining it! Thanks and good luck!" AND "...Start IE7s.exe with your fingers crossed" hmm, Im think Im going to try this on my VM instead... Oh, and what is the session thing that Tim mentioned?